Friday, May 26, 2017

Workout must-haves....

Hey guys!  I thought I'd share with you guys a few of my 'must haves' for working out.  Now I love, love, love going to the gym and taking classes.  It's probably my #1 motivator is a great class with an excellent teacher (Jackie Smiley-Edwards, Ruth Gatling, Cyndi Primerano, Jenna Wexler, Meredith LaBrie, Leslie Tietjen, Chrissy Frascella, Joe LaBella & Del Camden...I'm lookin at you!)  But these days, since I spend MOST of my days running to and fro to gyms to teach my OWN classes, I'd be lying if I said it was an easy task to get back out the door to the gym at the end of the day.  So truth be told, I've been doing a LOT of working out at home and here are a few of my at-home MUST HAVES:


1.- BE REALISTIC & LOVE WHAT YOU DO!
This is KEY to ALLLLLLL THINGS HEALTH & WELLNESS that many overlook so quickly, especially when starting a new fitness and eating plan.  Ya gotta look at your life and figure out where you can fit in healthier choices.  I KNOW when we get started, we're all convinced we can eat kale 3 meals a day and run a 5K daily.  And if you can?  That's AWESOME.  But if you're like most of us?  After a few weeks, that motivation starts to wane and you find yourself slowly starting to unravel.  So FIND WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT YOU CAN DO.  I'll try almost anything, but I know at the end of the day walking, dance & yoga are my happy place, so when all else fails?  I can always come back to that.  I've tried to convince myself I'm a runner and guess what?  I'm not and THAT'S OK.  Or maybe down the line, I will be...who knows!  (ummm...10 years ago I never woulda thought I'd be a yoga person, so....😉)  Do what you enjoy WHEN you can do it.  6 years ago, it was easy for me to get to the gym most nights of the week.  Now?  Not so much.  DO WHAT YOU CAN, WHEN YOU CAN.



2.-  Weights
It doesn't have to be as many as the mixed sets I've collected over the years, but just one good ole set of weights to get those triceps & biceps a-workin'.  Even back in the day before I had any weights?  I used to use water bottles!  Anything that can add a little resistance to those arms helps you feel lean & sculpted pretty quickly.  If I get nothing else done for the rest of the day, I always try to squeeze in a quick workout with the arms.  (bicep curls, lateral raises, overhead presses, triceps, front raises)  Anything to get those arms working from all angles.  


3.- My Phone
I know, I know...I still feel so weirdly 2017 when I say this (because my heart & soul still resides squarely in the late 90's/early millenuim😊), but my cellphone has become SUCH a tool for working out these days.  Whether it's using the incredible app Aaptiv, which combines on-demand guidance of a trainer mixed with the perfect playlist (How awesome is that??) or using Youtube to find workouts by your favorite trainers, it's AMAZING what you can have at your fingertips these days.  I'll usually play a workout on my phone while I catch up on....


4.-A stack of guilty pleasures
YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT!  I SAID IT!  This is DEFINITELY part of my workout essentials, because how can you make a guilty pleasure feel less guilty???  By combining it with a workout!  That's how!  And do you know how FAST a work out goes by when mixed with a couple old episodes of Laguna Beach ('STE-VEN!') or The Real Housewives???  SUPER FAST.  AND I don't feel guilty one bit!  It's always my excuse to watch one of my good ole shows, without the guilt of how I feel when I'm 'wasting time' just sitting on the couch with a workout that feels like it just FLIES by.  Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh😉


So there you have it...there's how I make sure to get my workouts in DAILY😊  Find whatever it is YOU need to do to make yourself feel motivated and you'll find yourself being MUCH more consistent with workouts.  And if I know anything, consistency is SO KEY to keeping yourself FEELING FIT.  


What are your workout must-haves??


And thank you to Aaptiv for the awesome post idea.  Go check em out!


Connect with me:

On Instagram  
Through Email
On Youtube
Comment below

As always...thanks for reading!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...