Monday, June 7, 2010

Cousins Weekend!!

So I'm back and somehow managed to NOT have to add a notch to my belt...it was tricky though;)  Cousins weekend was not only fabulous, but DELICIOUS! :)

I wasn't there 5 minutes when I was handed this lovely concoction:  Lemonade & Malibu Rum...OK???  Welcome indeed!! :)

Next my cousin made 2 delicious pizzas from her father's (my Awesome Uncle Freddie's) pizza crust recipe!  She made a vegetable & an artichoke heart pizza.  I had a slice of each...ya know, JUST to make sure they tasted OK for everyone;) hahahahahahhahaha....

Next, me & my Mom took a visit around the corner to the fresh fish market and snagged a dozen sea crawlers for some Spaghetti & Crabs.  I know this may sound foreign to some, but believe me, you'd DIE if you tasted it! :)

My Mom got the crabs all cleaned up and then got to work on the gravy....mmmmmm.....

Anddddd...while the gravy was simmering...maybe we just HAPPENED to crack open the huge box of cookies my cousin brought:)  We considered it our little "Intermezzo" to 'cleanse our palate' ;)

However, we DID get a nice walk along the bay in before our next course.... :)

...and saw some pretty sights:)

But after that...it was back to business!!!  This is probably one of my all-time favorite foods!  It is too far and WAY to few between that I get this dish... :)

And after we cleaned up our gravy mess (thank GOODNESS for my cousin Ellie's "old shirts" that we got to wear instead of 'spaghetti bibs'! :)...we sliced into the Strawberry Layer Cake that I made for the occasion...

I was so leery about making this because the reviews on the website were so mixed, but everyone REALLY liked it!  I made sure to add enough purred strawberries to give it a good flavor AND color (WITHOUT the food coloring) and just enough flour to make it a cake batter consistency....it was a hit! :)

And of course, I had to bring along my new favorite:  Trader Joe's Chocolate Wine:)  My Aunt took one sip and said "I found my love" :) hahahahahahaha....
After that...the wine pretty much knocked everyone out!  It wasn't long after that we all hit the hay:)

Butttt...don't get crazy and think we went 8 hours without anything to eat:)  We got the day rolling RIGHT AWAY with a little "breakfast appetizer" in the form of my Mom's sweet bread, cinnamon bread and some biscotti...

Not a bad way to start the day;)

But then it was time to bust out the big guns!  We were treated to both a homemade spinach souffle and an oatmeal bake!!
The oatmeal bake was QUITE the tease, as I took one bite of it and it tasted like a bowl of FALL.  Sighhhhh...I MUST get this recipe:)  It will be in my repertoire from September to December ;)

We actually held off from any cookies until lunch, even though they were calling me from their home on the dessert table;) 

And for lunch, my cousin made a DELICIOUS taco salad!  Nice, light and lovely...with a little surprise twist of crumbled Doritos on the bottom of the plate:)  Yum AND Crunch:)

And thennnnn...it was time to break out the desserts one more time before I left for "lunch dessert" ;)  This time I had a sliver of the lovely homemade banana cream pie:)
After that, it was time for me to head home....I believe I missed out on some homemade gnocchi with meatballs!  Bummer:(

Buttttt....my weekend food 'story' doesn't end there.  On our trip home, I made a stop for one of Jersey's "I can't live without" foods at Emery's Berry Patch in New Egypt...

And picked up one of Scott's VERY favorites...Blueberry pie!!....

And figured while I was there, I might as well pick up some of the ice cream...

AND the blueberry loaf for Sunday morning breakfast:)  Just look at that baby... 
I've only tried the loaf and it was FANTASTIC! I'll let you know how the pie & ice cream are when (and if) I get around to them! :)

And of course, beyond the food, I had a most-excellent time hanging out with my family.  It's always great to get together on those all-too-rare occasions!!  Such a treat!
A special thanks to my cousin Ellie for being the absolute HOSTEST WITH THE MOSTEST!!!!  I already can't wait till our next get together!  :) :) :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...